Friday, October 23, 2009

WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!

People are very territorial. This is MY house. This is MY job. This is MY path to greatness. This may be genetic, this may be a learned trait, but everybody suffers from “posessionism.” Are we born with a need to grab our piece of the pie? In addition, is it in our nature to grab the biggest piece that we can?

Or is it a learned trait? Could the way we are raised change how we react to encroachment? If parents behave this way do their children develop territorialism through observational osmosis?

Sometimes territorial behaviors are manifested in a group dynamic. The Crips and Bloods have their spot and heaven help anybody dressed in the wrong color comes onto their turf. Other times it’s an individual characteristic, Wall Street for example. A trait that seems to be a uniquely Western peculiarity, but I doubt that’s entirely true.

I noticed this last night at Frisbee. “Don’t give up your position.” And again today at work. “Don’t let him talk to suppliers. That’s not his job.” Of course my boss was implying that it’s mine.

Last night, Carlee and I had a scare. We almost lost our pending territory (although our current living arrangements are pretty spiffy). It seems as though we’re out of the woods and that we’re still on track (just a little bit behind schedule) but it got me thinking. What would you do to protect what you feel is yours? Would you be physical as is the case in Frisbee or would you not allow somebody to help you out for fear that somebody could take your territory? Would you take legal action or would you let the chips fall where they may because we all know that good things come to those who wait (or do they).

I know what I am going to do. I am NOT going to let Carlee down. It is because of me that we are in this position in the first place and I will make the necessary sacrifices to ensure that our territory is protected. I will do everything within my power, given the tools that I have, to make certain that we get what we deserve, together. She’s earned it, especially after her 3:48 marathon. This is our pending territory, I am territorial and I won’t let anything take it from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment