Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fuck This Gym

I'm not sure where the disconnect is. It could have been in the training, it could've started in the programming at Crossfit USA or the disconnect could be born simply out of confusion but somewhere along the line, the owner and head trainer of Crossfit Cheshire seems to have lost the fact that Crossfit is measureable and repeatable. A workout should be able to determine power output over the cliched broad time and modal domains. However, during today's workout at CFC, in which we did the standard Crossfit Chaos (intro) workout I realized that all new clients were not going to understand what makes Crossfit a different type of program from anything else that can be found on the internet. The workout was not timed nor were reps counted. Besides this, improvement of technique was not approached and skills were not improved.
How am I supposed to know how my fitness has improved from day to day, week to week, year to year? By the way that I feel? That's hardly scientific. I've done Helen and Fran, felt stronger but have gotten worse times, thus decreases in power. The same applies to workout types such as Fight Gone Bad or Cindy.
In Crossfit, fitness is to be a measurable venture and from what I've seen, aside from poor technique coaching and lesser standards, the trainers at CFC don't understand this. Because of this I have vowed, starting after tomorrow's Special Olympics Charity WOD, to not participate in Group WOD's at CFC. My disappointment with the quality at Crossfit Cheshire cannot be ignored any longer and going forward will continue to train myself.
I guess these are the reasons to open my own box.

No comments:

Post a Comment