Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Running?

Weights withdrawal is an ugly thing.  It’s rearing its head as we speak.  I’m getting the itch and my legs feel weak.  There’s a sense that I have become too comfortable.  There is no DOMS and there is no way that I could do this again.  I have officially gone since Friday without moving a barbell. 

Not that I really had a choice.  CFC was closed on Monday due to the holiday and on Saturday I enjoyed some time with the CFC crew for a Barbell free WOD.  In lieu of squatting on Monday I ran (pick your jaw off of the floor).  It wasn’t just a couple of 100’s, or even 400’s.  I ran a 5k.  The New Haven Road Race, held every Labor Day was a nice little 3.1 mile jog through some nice and some seedy parts of New Haven.  While Carlee ran the 20k, knowing that I don’t run, hate to run and dislike runners I still would rather put myself through 23 minutes and 30 seconds of misery than to stand around for nearly an hour and a half with nothing to do except watch people with a misguided sense of fitness zoom, stroll, limp or crawl by me. 

It will be nice to get back into the gym and do what I enjoy doing again.  I will be picking weight up off of the floor and putting it over my head; not mingling with anorexics chasing down a cheese burger. 

You might be wondering how I was able to move fairly quickly despite the fact that I don’t really do any conditioning, let alone jog.  The answer, while not blowing in the wind, is very simple.  I work hard, have strong legs and can tolerate pain and being uncomfortable. Through years of swimming and the past two years of serious weight training I know that the discomfort I feel while doing something is only temporary and that kicking ass and taking names (my two qualities that I cherish the most) takes being uncomfortable.  Now, I won’t be running in too many races, it doesn’t appeal that much to me, but I could see myself doing Turkey Trots and stuff like that, at least for the t-shirt.

Here is my 5K playlist'

Phish - Bold as Love

Blur - Chinese Bombs

John Mayer - Try!

Lustra - Scotty Doesn't Know ( a young Matt Damon everybody!)

Schooly D - Aqua Team Hunger Force

NERD - Lap Dance

Kings of Leon - Red Morning Light

No comments:

Post a Comment