Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Challenge: Day 5

Cultivate Gratitude.

I, and you too, have always made it a priority to say "please" and "thank you." However, there are people out there who may go long periods of time without getting thanked in the capacity that they deserve. I'm looking at you teachers, cleaning crews and barbers. I'm going to share with you, dear readers, a rough draft of a note that I'm going to send to one of my favorite teachers, Ms. Rogow. She was my 11th and 12th grade English teacher at Mamaroneck High School. She wrote one of my college recommendations. She is (was) awesome. I know she's around because she belongs to the pool that every Brandom boy has lifeguard at since 2000.

Dear Ms. Rogow,
I hope that this letter finds you well. I am writing to you today to express my gratitude for being not only and amazing teacher but an amazing person. During my years with you, you saw past the lazy facade and found a way to coerce me into doing work. Your allowance to let us free-write and then to openly express ourselves gave me a new insight into writing and reading. If you hadn't found a way to lay the ground work for hard work I may not have graduated from college, gotten a job or found my wife. You are a wonderful person and while I'm sure that you get these sorts of notes all the time I felt that you needed to know that I have always admired the way that you held yourself while helping us in your class, even us, the stragglers.

This is just a rough draft. I'll be sure to not be so all over the place in the actual letter.
Here's a list of 5 things that I am grateful for. So what if it's not Thanksgiving.
1. My wife for being so tolerant of me doing a sport that she hates.
2. My boss, not only for the steady paycheck but for being a really good person who allows flexibility in how tasks get accomplished.
3. My dad for the free music lessons. Still come in handy when I pick up the clarinet from time to time. It's therapeutic.
4. Coach Gerry. As much as he may not like me he always went out of his way to help me out. Probably because he likes my wife so much.
5. Steak

No comments:

Post a Comment