Monday, January 31, 2011

Debilitating and humiliating

Yesterday at CFW's Football Total, lead by Pam DelNego in her final coaching class there, I was on my way to a solid victory. I was warming up for the deadlift, the bar was loaded with 495# and on the way up I allowed my low back to curve. Now, usually, on an epically heavy deadlift the back is going to break its stabilizing position. That happens. But the lower back must remain neutral. I got the bar to just below my knees and bailed. Since then I've been moving slowly and sure not to hurt myself getting up out of chairs and picking things up (if my cats push one more thing off of the kitchen counter it will be their last).
So that bring us to today. I went to the gym feeling a lot better. I could still feel a twinge in my back but it felt manageable. I thought that maybe a good solid warm up would loosen me right up. Wrong. I went through the Burgener Warmup and did some extra Hang Snatches. I even did the California Strength Progression to make sure that everything was in working order. Then, I loaded the bar. Nothing heavy, afterall, it's still a warmup. 135#. Couldn't lift it more than a couple of inches before pain would dig it's dirty nails into my low back. I was done.
I spent the next 45 minutes stretching. Using a PVC Pipe as a foam roller, the double lacrosse ball in between each of my ribs and using bands to enhance the "couch stretch." I even did a couple minutes of handstand holds. While I do feel much better I decided to wait until tomorrow to try to lift again, that is, of course if we don't get more snow. We'll see how this goes. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I have 4 weeks until the Atlantic States Open and could use some rest. I just hope that this pain goes away permanently and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment