Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fire + Meat = Yum

I am conquering the kitchen. One meaty meal at a time. It’s been a pretty long time since I’ve cooked for myself on a regular basis, which I have to say is the way to go if you can somehow work yourself into that kind of situation. But condo life, you know, the kind of where there are mortgage payments to make has forced me back into the kitchen, much to Carlee’s chagrin.

My cooking background: none. I can follow recipes and may greatest trait, the ability to eat anything and everything is my weakness, I don’t always tell if something tastes good for other people, which is why I’ve been somewhat hesitant about making meals up on the fly However, the last two tries (New Years Eve and last night, Jan. 4) have gone pretty well. I crushed a chili that involved 3lbs of ground beef, 2.5 pounds of stew beef and some bacon (this filled the Crockpot to the point that it didn’t really taste like chili until the next day when I had more room to work with to add spices) and then last night I got creative and made some Curry Chicken.

I would like to add getting more creative in the kitchen to my list of New Year’s Resolutions. That’s not to say that I won’t use a recipe book more often than not but I ought to be trying things out in the kitchen. If it tastes bad, not big deal, choke it down like medicine and if the “meal” is too atrocious for that, the Chinese Buffet is a quick drive down the road. This could be a good thing. I’ll learn what tastes good together and hopefully have a repertoire of meals that I can whip up at a moment’s notice.

Note: this all gets negated if somebody wants to cook for me… Anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment