Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Go Get'em Tiger

(inspired by CFW's Lisbeth Darsh)
Lots of things can take you to the top of where you want to go. Most of them, in any venture require hard work, dedication and a will to get business done. In fitness they are as follows; sleep (quality and quantity), food (quality and quantity), prehab, rehab and stretching and of course, coaching.
You can go pretty far on your own. I've gotten pretty strong, quick, agile and, dare I say it, a decent Crossfitter on my own. I've been lucky to have some pretty great coaches over my lifetime. Brian Dorsey and Gerry Cournoyer for swimming, Doug Thompson in Water Polo. However, I've been doing this fitness thing on my own.
Lately, however due to scheduling, I've had the pleasure of lifting at the same time as Pam (aka the Pammer). She's a good coach, she's positive, she's knowledgeable and she understands my goals. I like to think that I help her a little bit too, especially in the olympic lifts. But the point is, with her help I certainly have gotten much stronger. You can only read so many books, blog posts and Starting Strength articles until you actually need somebody to tell you to "keep your chest up" and "drive with the hips."
What's cool is that coaching can be found anywhere for anything. Carlee runs for a great organization, TNT. They raise money for the LLS and have coaches that can scale their training for any level and any endurance type race. Not my thing, endurance, but a great organization, but also a great way to have an expert assist you in your goals.
I encourage you to find a gym with knowledgable staff and members and seek them out. Ask them to watch you squat, sprint, pushups, whatever. Get feed back to become the best athlete you can be. But don't forget to sleep, feed and water yourself properly. Those are important too.

1-27-2010
Back Squat 3x5 @ 365# (failed on 5th rep of last set)
Bench Press 3x5 @ 230#
Dead Lift 1x5 @ 415#
Dips 3x5 + 28kg
OH Situps 3x10 @ 25#

1 comment:

  1. EB very few people can train on their own like you do and actually see results. Your discipline is inspiring and I always leave CFC eager to follow your example. It's awesome to watch you push yourself as you work towards your goals.

    Just watched those Jared Allen vids. He AND his mullet are hilarious. Boomer was actually at my CFFB cert. See you at CFC.

    -Pammer

    ReplyDelete