Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weakness

We all have weaknesses.  There's no doubt about that.  Some people call them their "goats."  These are the moves or even the types of workouts that make you queasy, say things like "ya know, I haven't had a rest day in a while," or mess with your mentality to the point where you become less intense about your workout.  Everybody has one, at least one, I cannot begin to count mine.  It used to be anything with strength.  I was a tall skinny kid, 170 pounds and the pullup master.  Now, I'm still a tall kid, but not so skinny, standing tall at nearly 200.  Needless to say, I have gotten stronger, and have worked that "goat."  It's not in submission yet, but it's at least been improved.

With the "fixing" of an old goat, new ones don't approach, rather they show their ugly heads as if to say, "Hey, I'm here and I'm going to keep you from being the best."  My new goat?  Chest.  My chesticles are weak.  I can't bench worth a darn, my pushups have become atrocious, the drop is my nemesis on burpees.  However, I do have a plan on working on it.  I can't waste my rest days to go heavy on bench and I'm certainly way too tired to hit it after my mikesgym WOD.  But, I can throw some into my quick intense metcon's.  For instance, I threw down with some alternating DB Bench, Pullups and KTE's in a 5 minute AMRAP.  While the DB's were only 45# it was still enough to kick my ass.

The point of this rant is that you ought to keep working on your goats.  New ones will approach but never forget the old ones, because they will rear their ugly heads if neglected.  I will always struggle with strength more than endurance, it's the way I was built, but I can focus on strength to help me become a better athlete and allow myself a better chance at the qualifiers in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment