Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Week for the Weak

It started on Monday; "Boom!"  340 pounds hits the floor.  That's weird I think to myself.  330#, goes down and then up, but it's a struggle.  Something's off.  I finish my sets of back squats at 330# instead of the prescribed 340.  After a little bit of time on the wheel of death I had back to the squat rack determined to figure this shit out.  I put on an easy 135# and grease the groove.  I hit nice easy sets of 6 reps.  My technique feels good.  I ask the trainer about my back angle, am I straight up and down?  "You bet" he replies, "any further back and you'd lose the weight behind you."  He knows what I do so I trust him.  I reluctantly place 225# on my back and do a couple easy sets of 4.  Same thing, my technique is solid (I would say impeccable, but that certainly is not the case).  Oh well, maybe it's just an off day I think to myself as I leave the gym and head to get some milk and other groceries.
Tuesday, I can't hit my front squats at 290.  They're supposed to be at 300, but I can't even force 290 up.  I do what I can at 275.  Wednesday, today.  Front squats again.  Can't even get 280 once.  I settle for 275 again, confused, befuddled and a little worried.  
Did I hurt myself?  Impossible, I don't feel any pain (except when I jerk, but that's a whole other story).  It then dawns on me that I haven't had a real rest day in nearly two weeks.  While I haven't lifted heavy every single one of those days, but I have been in the gym, hitting my workouts with the same intensity as I always do and that has taken its toll.
What will happen now is, I will go tomorrow, as I always do.  I'll try to lift as best as I can, grind it out and hope that good things happen.  I'll push myself to be better, stronger, faster than the day before.  That's the ultimate goal, afterall.  I'll try to work my goat, I'll try to get a metcon in.  No matter what I will be there making sure to get the most of the time that I have in the gym.  It helps knowing that I will rest, completely tomorrow.  I won't lift more than myself out of bed and up the stairs and out the door.  I will try to eat right with lots of protein and fats to help my body recover and hopefully, by the time Saturday rolls around, I'll have some of my strength back.  Sunday's a rest day too, so there's hope at the end of the tunnel that this week of being weak is only a fluke and not the beginning of a trend I hope to not see.  We'll find out on Monday.

(me missing 205# snatch)

No comments:

Post a Comment