Saturday, May 2, 2009

Advantage: Skinny Dudes

I just got trounced.  It was awful.  My ass was removed, prepared and then handed to me.  I don't like to make excuses, but I certainly can make the case that the three WOD's favored smaller Crossfitters who can run.  1. I'm big and 2. I'm an awful runner.  The WOD's were as follows:
4 rounds
450 meter run
10 Deadlifts @ 225
20 Pullups
19:58
This one was my mistake.  I took it out way too fast.  I tried keeping up with the quick runners in the first round.  Bad idea.  I died.  Absolutely got crushed.  If I was offered a do-over, I would have cruised the run and pounded out the DL's and Pullups.  That weight is really light for me and I can get those pullups pretty easily (although I will admit that some of my reps didn't count because my chin failed to get over the bar).  On a redo, I crush my 19:58 time by at least 3 minutes, it'd probably help if I didn't walk major portions of the run.
5round
5 Thruster @135
10 Burpees
7:59
More my speed.  I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but I was able to hold my own.  Still a little bit too light and favors the itty bitty guys just a little bit.  I think I should point out that 135# thrusters are not that light, but 155# would have really evened things out, especially considering what was coming up next. 
5k
28:29
Really?  WTF?  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  I'm starting to think that Jason from CFMilford doesn't like me.  Or maybe the offer CFEndurance and have a whole bunch of runners and triathletes.  The top time was 21:24, that's pretty quick.
If I was asked to do it again, I would, of course.  I'd hope that the WOD's would change but it is what it is and I know that I can do better.  I would argue that my middle of the pack finish wouldn't change much, especially with that run at the end but I did have a great time and I appreciate Jason hosting a great event that run smoothly.
Lessons learned: I can't run and those skinny people WOD's are a weakness.  Also, there are some really good Crossfitters (or possibly just runners) in Connecticut.  Maybe I'll do some CFE stuff before the qualifiers, but I'm really hoping that Albany has more stuff for the big guys.  Heavy snatches anybody, how about King Kong?

No comments:

Post a Comment