Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Being Selfish is Hard Work

I'm selfish.  There's no doubt about it.  Why do I train?  To show off what kind of an athlete I am.  Why do I work hard at something that my body was not bred to do?  Because I want to win.  I want to win big.  I want the world to fear me, I want the world to know my name.  I want Sevan to come to my house and interview me, tape a workout and maybe get a trip out to California.  I want to be featured in the journal.  I want my picture on the main page.  You're selfish too.
Why do you train?  If not for the same reasons, then what?  To look good?  "Yes, I want the sex of interest to take notice of me and to find me attractive enough to take me home for at least an ONS."  You want to be healthy?  Basically, you're saying that nobody and no food product will stand in your way of living a longer life than the Twinkie says you will.  It's what you want, not a given right.    
Working out is, in and of itself, a very selfish activity.  But who cares?  Being selfish is a good thing.  Being selfish got you through college, being selfish got you a promotion, being selfish is human nature.  I want you to be selfish.  Figure out your reasons for doing a certain activity and stop at nothing to hit a goal that you set for yourself.  Maybe you want to win the Crossfit Games in July, 2009 (mine) or you want the best looking yard on your block, or maybe you just want to finish a workout without throwing up.  I say don't let anything stand in your way of what you feel is yours.  It's going to take hard work, you will have to earn it.  It will take sweat, tears and maybe even some blood to get what you want but it will be worth every last drop.  Being selfish is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment