Sunday, March 22, 2009

UConn

I got roped in.  That happens to me frequently but this time I'm a little PO'd.  I'm seeing UConn play basketball in the tournament.  When I was asked if I wanted to go, I said "Sure!"  I was excited.  I would root hard for the 16 seed underdog, annoy a couple of fans and be on my merry way.  I didn't ask where this game was, I just assumed it was in Philly.  But it's not, it's in Hartford.  A much closer drive than Philadelphia but that also means I'm seeing the women's tourney.  WTF.  Now, I'm all for women's sports, I feel that having college and pro sports for women is a great thing.  I support them, I'll donate money to their programs, especially UVM's, but I won't watch their games.  It's because I look for quality in my sports.  The same reason I get fed up when Luis Castillo botches an easy grounder because his belly gets in the way, the same reason I enjoy pro vs. college sports, is why I enjoy men's over women's sports any day.  My brother and I have a running joke that the WNBA All-Star Break should have a layup contest.  
So, here I sit, awake at 8 on a Sunday after drinking a minimum of a bottle of wine getting ready for the UCONN vs. UVM women's basketball opening round.  WOW.  Somebody nail my big toe to the floor boards.  This is going to be a rout, it's going to be ugly.  I'm going to watch airballs, and slow breaks, and poorly executed fundamentals.  FANTASTIC.  But here I go, to root for my alma mater (which is the only thing making this almost worthwhile).  SUPER.

No comments:

Post a Comment