Saturday, March 28, 2009

Cert

I've never been certified to do much.  Sure, I'm a certified life guard, but all that really allows me to do is sun bathe and twirl a whistle.  There are a couple of Crossfit certifications that people I can safely say are friends of mine are attending this weekend.  They are specialty certs too, a kettlebell cert in VA and a Barbell cert with great one, Mark Rippetoe.  I'm a bit jealous.  I knew about them in time, I had ample opportunity and really nothing to do this weekend, but I'm saving for a wedding and a house and life in general and feel that I can hold out getting a piece of paper saying that I have a proficient squat or KB Snatch.  
But what's the point anyway.  I'm not coaching crossfit.  I'm an athlete.  There seems to be this notion that only people that are certified are worthwhile athletes in the Crossfit world.  Where did this notion come from?  Michael Phelps doesn't have his Level 2 swim coaches certification, I do, but that certainly doesn't make me a better swimmer, nor does it necessarily mean that I'm a better coach.  The cult of Crossfit pushes hard for everybody to get certified.  It's fun, it's really "ra-ra" and it makes the Glassman's hordes of cash.  I'd promote it too.  I'm sure they're really educational.  But so is the internet, so are books.  
My worth as an athlete is not tied into paying into the Greg Glassman retirement fund.  If I go to a cert it will be because I want to own and operate a gym some day.  I can go to seminar's that will hit the specific skills that I want to become proficient in such as Greg Everett's weight lifting seminar, which costs far less than a certification but still lends itself to the same expertise and knowledge.  
It's my money and when I dominate at the games, it'll show everybody that getting certified is not mutually linked to athleticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment