Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Listen to Me

Apparently I’ve lost some credibility.  Between the copious amounts of food that I eat plus the bad rap that fats and red meat get (Fuck you whole grains) people looking for advice have stopped coming to me for fat loss/fitness advice.  This used to not be the case even if I really had no idea how I actually did it.  When I was at a buck and three quarters soaking wet I was asked how to stay lean and I could always respond by saying something along the lines of, “I eat quality proteins and veggies with good fats mixed in” forgetting the 4-6 hours pg pool time each day.  I was trusted and believed in because of my skinniness (read: scrawny).  However, the amount of food I eat and the fact that I have a hard time gaining weight has been misconstrued, by some, as awesome genetics and that I can’t be a resource on healthy eating.  Bollocks

I must have been asleep because the formula seems to have changed in the minds of the non-enlightened.  This is bad because the nutritional problem always has the same solution.  Given the goal, whether it is weight loss or weight gain, the answer is always “eat quality proteins and veggies with good fats mixed in.”  The question, dependant on the variable (lose weight, gain weight, athletic progress), is the quantity.  A person trying to gain weight should eat the same foods and food quality as somebody trying to lose 10 pounds for beach season, however in different quantities.  I don’t expect the girl who sits next to me at work to eat a half dozen eggs for breakfast every morning but when I hear her say that all she’s having for breakfast is a South Beach Bar and an apple for lunch I shudder.  I know it’s not my place to jump in and scold (read: gently suggest) that she should eat some more meat or that she should learn to squat and dead lift because it’s her prerogative to hop on the elliptical for a couple hours and at least she’s decided to exercise (she doesn’t need to lose pounds, btw) which is more than most people ever do.  But the fact that there is so much false information floating around is a crime.  It’s a shame.  Thankfully I’m getting big enough that people stop asking me for advice on being skinny (although that was never the goal, just the result) but they really ought to. 


Training Youth

Measuring Weightlifting Performance


WoD

2-pos Snatch - 10 sets at 195

MetCon (from CFFB)

Complete 5 burpees and perform max rep 135 lbsthrusters on the minute.

The goal is to complete 25 total thrusters.

*At the beginning of every minute perform 5 burpees, for the rest of the minute perform as many thrusters as you can during that minute. At the beginning of the next minute perform 5 burpees and then max rep thrusters and so on until you reach 25 total thrusters

5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment