Monday, June 15, 2009

It's Huge


I’m starting week 3 of my weight gain expedition/experiment and so far I believe that it’s working pretty well.  I’ve gained somewhere between 4-7 pounds based on what I believe my weight was at the outset and I have an idea as to how this feels.  You know, the whole gorging myself thing.  I’ve been holding strong at what I figure to be roughly 5,000 calories (thank you whole milk) with the majority of my grams coming from protein and calories from fat.  One thing that I have noticed with this experiment is the rate at which I recover.  I’ve always claimed to recover quickly from workouts (except for lunges, damn you lunges) but this has been nothing short of awesome.  The 10x3 squat escapades under normal circumstances would leave me with absolutely no desire to get back to the gym and strap on my shoes but I feel as if the next day I could do it again, with more weight… faster. 

This is also coinciding with what I feel is increased strength.  We all know thanks to high school physics that more mass moves more mass.  However, and I’ll be the first to admit this, that Clean and Jerking 250 for five singles was, not too long ago, very tiresome but even during the course of the workout, the weight seemed to find its way more easily onto my shoulders and I didn’t seem to tire. 

What makes this even more fantastic is that my gym buddy Jackie just returned from the Crossfit Nutrition Certification with Robb Wolf who speaks, at length, on food for recovery and performance.  I’m hoping that she took excellent notes (she is a teacher after all) that I can dive into.  (I learned after writing this that a packet is given out, shwing!)  I believe that this will supplement my first hand experience with eating paleo + dairy in terms of lifting more weight and putting more on while continuing to do it on a daily and weekly basis.

Monday 6/15

Back Squat 10x3 @ 295#

Push Press 5x5 - worked up to 195#

100 Crunches

Rev. Back Ext. 3x10


No comments:

Post a Comment